Friday 14 November 2014

Change of name from 'Food before 5' to 'Simple home cook'


I have spent the last 2 years and thousands of hours writing a cookbook and building a brand around that cookbook.  I originally thought the name 'Food before 5' was fantastic and represented the recipes in my cookbook - recipes that can be made before 5pm.  It was my goal to bring together recipes that can be made earlier in the day (if you prefer) and simply reheated at dinner time so you don't have to cook at that time of day which is difficult for many families.

I realised that I may have got it wrong with my brand when I arrived at my first market. I got up at 5am, had my table all set up, LOTS of sample food prepared and cookbooks on display.  I was so excited but found I could hardly get people to come over to my table.  They would read my banner from afar and look confused by the brand.  For those who did come over, they loved the book and bought a copy but the difficulty was getting people to look at it.

People have asked me questions like:

  • "Is it food for 5 people?"
  • "Is it 5 ingredients?"
  • "Is it daytime food only, because it is before 5pm?"
So... over the past year, I have started to regret the name that I chose.  I felt somewhat disheartened and I didn't get it right first time. But sometimes you have to admit your mistakes and try to change them before it is too late.  That is what I am trying to do now.

'Food before 5' is now officially 'Simple home cook'.  I am excited by this change as I think the new name does actually reflect the recipes that I cook.  They ARE simple, very simple, cheap & suitable for any home cook.  It fits everyone from the family, the single bloke, the student wanting to learn how to cook, the elderly, full time workers or stay at home mums,  I hope I won't be asked any more questions about what type of food it is!!

Over the next few days I will be changing the name in all forms of social media. I will also be changing my logo so please stay with me and continue to cook my recipes, like & comment on my posts.  

Thanks for reading and I would love to know what you think of the new name.

Cheers
Amanda

BTW... I still have some copies of 'Food before 5' for sale via my website www.foodbefore5.com.au


No comments:

Post a Comment