The ginger & orange rind combination make these cookies taste and smell absolutely divine and are undoubtedly the best gingernuts I have ever eaten. Bake them for 15 mins and they will be soft & chewy, leave them a little longer for a crunchier biscuit.
Give them a go today.
- 2 ½ cups self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbspn ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 125g butter
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp grated orange rind
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Line 2 oven trays.
2. In a large bowl, sift flour, salt, ginger & bicarb soda. Add sugar & stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, add butter & golden syrup. Heat in microwave for 1 to 1½ mins or until they have melted together. Stir to combine & pour over dry ingredients.
4. Add egg and orange rind & mix to form a stiff dough.
5. Using a tablespoon measure, scoop up 1 Tbspn mixture & form into a ball. Place on oven tray & repeat with remaining mixture. Leave room between biscuits for spreading. Lightly flatten balls with your fingers.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 15 mins. NOTE: Bake them for 15 mins and they will be soft & chewy, leave them a little longer for a crunchier biscuit. Remove from oven & trf to wire rack to cool.
Eat in moderation!